9th Bengaluru International Film Festival – BIFFES
February 2 – 9, 2017
The 9th edition of Bengaluru International Film Festival will be held in Bengaluru and Mysuru Simultaneously.
The Inauguration of the Festival will be held on the evening of Thursday, February 2, 2017, in front of Vidhana Soudha at 6.00 PM.
Hon’ble Chief Minister, Sri Siddaramaiah will inaugurate the festival.
The distinguished guests include Shri Buddhadeb Dasgupta, Eminent Bengali Filmmaker
Shri Puneet Rajkumar, Popular Kannada Cinema Star
Ms. Hala Khalil, Renowned Egyptian Filmmaker
Masters of Ceremony: Well known Actors Suhasini Maniratnam and Ramesh Arvind
Regular screenings for the Delegates will commence on February 3, 2017
The screenings will be held at 11 screens – PVR Cinemas, Rajajinagar, Bengaluru
4 screens – INOX Cinemas, Mall of Mysuru
The Content of the Festival: Total 240 films – about 60 Countries – under various categories
Highlights of the Festival Films:
Competition Section : Asian Cinema Competition
Indian Cinema Competition
Kannada Cinema Competition
Kannada Popular Entertainment Cinema
Like in the previous editions, there will also be an additional International Jury for Kannada Cinema which will culminate in a special NETPAC(Network For Promotion of Asian Cinema) award. A new Critics jury coordinated by International Federation of Film Critics(FIPRESCI) for Indian Cinema competition is Instituted from this edition.
The other sections are :
1. Contemporary Cinema of world
2. Country Focus : Luxembourg, Vietnam and Egypt
3. Directors’ Retrospectives : Zoltan Fabri of Hungary, Haskell Wexler from USA (Docus) & Buddhadeb Dasgupta (Bengal – India)
4. Artist Retrospective : Smt. Harini – Kannada
5. Classic Cult Comedies from France
6. Unsung Incredible India: Films from lesser known Indian dialects like Tulu, Kodava, Banjara, Khasi, Wancho, Sikkim etc.,
7. Bio Pics: Biographical pictures include films on Poet Neruda, Filmmaker Fritz Lang, Artist Van Gogh, Philosopher Louis Andrea Salome, Scholar M.M. Kalburgi and singer Mohammed Rafi
8. Critics Award winning films: Films which have won awards in various other film Festivals under FIPRESCI Juries. All the films in this Section are directed by Women.
9. The theme of the festival would be “WOMEN POWER” as nearly 25 films under International Cinema are directed by Women.
10. Films which have won awards at other festivals under NETPAC Juries (Network For Promotion of Asian Cinema)
11. SPECIAL 125th YEAR BIRTH ANNIVERSARY REMEMBRANCE OF DR. B.R. AMBEDKAR
12. Centenary Tributes: G. V Iyer, B.S. Ranga, M.K. Indira and Kempraj Urs
13. Homages: J.Jayalalitha, Balamurali Krishna, Om Puri, Dr. Ashok Pai, Srihari Khoday, Sanket Kashi, Abbas Kiarostami (Iran), Andrzej Wajda (Poland) Jacques Rivette, Raoul Cottard (France), Paul Cox (Australia)
14. 50 years in Kannada Cinema: Pranaya Raja Srinath Quite a good number of films in Asian Category and rest of the World have reputation of having participated in other major international film festivals of Berlin, Cannes, Toronto, Goa, Mumbai, Kerala etc., and also won awards.
There are nearly 30 films which are premiering in India.
Films made by world renowned filmmakers such as Asghar Farhadi from Iran, Ken Loach from UK, Kim Ki Duk from South Korea, Cristian Mungiu from Romania, Emir Kusturica from Serbia, Xavier Dolan from Canada, Pierre & Luc Dardenne from Belgium, Pablo Larrain from Chile, Hirakozu Koreeda from Japan, Maurice Pialat and Mia Hansen Love from France, Haskell Wexler from USA and many more.
Invited delegates will include film makers, journalists, Film Critics, Film festival Programmers, Academicians etc., from across the world. Large participation of Foreign Consulate officials, Foreign cultural organization representatives in India from Delhi and Bengaluru is also expected.
Indian delegates include filmmakers, Film Festival organisers and critics from Bengal, Odissa, Maharashtra, Delhi, Kerala and Tamilnadu.
Kannada filmmakers and their team whose films are on show in the festival will be invited for the festival as special guests.
Workshops, Seminars and Master Classes will also be held during the course of the Festival.
The scheduled programmes are:
1. Special interaction with Mr. A. Suryaprakash, Chairman of Prasara Bharati to be moderated by veteran journalist Mr. Hunasawadi Rajan
2. Exchange of views with Mr Shravan Kumar, Chief Executive Officer, Children’s Film Society, India and Prof. Raghunath of Indian Institute of Management with regard to Production and Marketing of Films.
3. Dadasaheb Award Winner Late V.K. Murthy memorial lectures to be delivered by Mr. Mahesh Aney, Ace Cinematographer from Mumbai known for his works like “Swades” and Mr. Rajiv Menon Well known Cinematographer from Chennai known for films “Bombay”, “Guru” etc.,
4. Master Classes by Tamil film maker Vetrimaaran and Israeli filmmaker Mr Dan Wolman
5. Special discussion on Global Marketing of Regional Cinema – Participants include Mr. Rajat Goswami of Basil Content, Mumbai, Mr. Gujar, Custard Apple, Mumbai, Kiran Bhartur from Canada and Mr. K. Sai Prasad of Orion Digital, Bengaluru
6. Seminar on “Women Power” in the film world and film content – to be organized by some women groups of Bengaluru under Janavadi Mahila Sanghatane with participation of visiting Women directors from abroad.
7. Book release – Kannada translation of biography originally written in Marathi on the renowned Director/actor of yesteryears Gurudutt followed by interaction between Film Critics from across the world attending the festival.
All the above events are scheduled to be held in one of the screens at PVR cinemas under the guidance of Academic Programs Director Mr Nanjunde Gowda, Kannada Film Director.
Closing Ceremony and award distribution on the evening of Thursday February 4, 2016, at Mysuru in front of Mysuru Palace. All the invited guests and distinguished celebrities will participate. Mr. Nana Patekar, eminent Actor will be present. Kannada film industry will present the cultural show.
Movie screening for all the delegates will begin from 03rd February in Both the venues.
Venues are PVR,ORION MALL, Bengaluru.
and INOX, MALL OF MYSURU, Mysore.
3rd February 2017
4th February 2017